If you’re visiting us in Guatemala in the next year, you will likely meet Morgan Newman, one of our new long-term volunteers who is coordinating Vision Teams. Here are her answers to a little Q and A with our Grants & Communications Officer Erin Treinen.
Position: Vision Team Coordinator
Time with CH: 4 months
Favorite Guatemalan Food: Sweet corn and ham pizza (from Santa Ana)
#1 Travel Essential: Comfy sandals
- How did you come to volunteer at Common Hope? I joined a Vision Team with coworkers in February of 2013. I fell in love with Guatemala and got to see firsthand the good work that Common Hope is doing. During my trip I found out that there was going to be an opening for the Vision Team Coordinator and I applied shortly after.
- What was your first impression of Guatemala? I was struck by how beautiful the country is and how kind and humble the people are.
- What have you enjoyed most about working for Common Hope? I love the diversity of what I do. I get to meet and work with a wide variety of people and my day to day schedule changes depending on the project or volunteer group at the time.
- If you could sum up what you’ve learned in your time here, what would you say? Humility. The families we serve use the resources available to them and work extremely hard to better their own lives and the lives of their children, yet they have grateful attitudes and are generous with what they have.
- What are your hopes for 2014? I want to be a great liaison between our volunteers/visitors and the Common Hope staff and families we serve. I hope that the people I come in contact with this year learn more about our mission and get excited about it!