September 15th is Guatemala Independence Day. What better way to celebrate than by cooking a traditional Guatemalan dish? This month, Chef Vinicio shares his recipe for Hilachas, a staff favorite.
1 lb of shreddable meat or skirt steak
3 cloves of garlic, whole
1 onion, whole
6 tomatoes, whole
1 guaque chili pepper
½ lb of cooked potatoes, halved
1. To prepare the meat, place the meat, onion, salt, and cloves of garlic in a large pot. Fill the pot with water so that it just covers the ingredients. Cook on medium heat until the cooked meat becomes soft.
2. Then drain the vegetables and meat, pulling it apart, leaving it shredded.
3. Save the broth.
4. Separately, to prepare the soup, cook the tomatillos, tomatoes, cooked onion, cooked garlic and the guaque chili pepper.
5. Once these ingredients are soft, blend them with a little bit of the left over broth. The salsa should be thick.
6. Drain the salsa, to get rid of the seeds.
7. Add the shredded meat and cooked potatoes to the salsa. Season it to your liking with salt and pepper.
8. Serve with tortillas over cooked rice.