Position: Housing Program Liaison
Location: Fundación Familias de Esperanza/Antigua
Department: Infrastructure and Appropriate Technology
Reports to: Infrastructure and Appropriate Technology Director
Communication: With Hospitality Department
Condiciones: Full-time (40 hours a week), volunteer, with stipend
- Commitment to the mission, vision, values, principles and goals of Common Hope
- Demonstrated attitude of service and commitment to work in a service environment and learn about Guatemalan culture
- Willingness to work on site and in the villages
- Willingness to share work experiences with donors, Sponsors, Vision Teams and others to raise consciousness and fund-raise
- Ability to work effectively in both Spanish and English
- Integrity, openness, and honesty
- Flexibility and creativity
- Direct communication skills
- Ability to work on a multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary team
Specific Requirements of Position:
- University studies preferred, minimum high school degree
- Knowledge of appropriate construction technology and basic home repair skills, or interest in learning about these areas
- Experience in hospitality industry or education in roles such as volunteer coordination, camp counseling, leading service trips or similar
- Outgoing personality, patience and high energy; able to transmit your passion for Common Hope’s work to others
- Excellent communication skills that can be tailored to different groups (affiliated families, Common Hope staff and visitors/volunteers)
- Openness to change and ability to propose new ideas and methods
- Quick problem-solving capability
- High degree of cultural sensitivity
- Physical strength and good physical condition
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office programs
- Willingness to work occasional weekends and evenings when teams are in town
- First aid skills (preferred)
- Minimum one-year commitment
- Collaborate with the Infrastructure department staff and short-term volunteers in the construction and maintenance of houses, floors, roofs, stoves, retaining walls, etc.
- Facilitate the placement of short-term volunteers in the Infrastructure Department, coordinating with the Volunteer Coordinator and Infrastructure Department Manager.
- Facilitate housing activities for vision teams, in coordination with Team Coordinators and Infrastructure Department Manager.
- Welcome, orient and accompany short-term volunteers and vision team members in the Infrastructure Department, answering their technical and cultural questions and sharing your passion for our work with them.
- Facilitate communication between visitors/volunteers and Common Hope staff members.
- Facilitate trainings and practical orientations for the affiliated families and co-workers
- Maintain excellent communication with the affiliated families and co-workers
- Help provide a comfortable environment for families, co-workers and visitors
- Use resources responsibly and take all appropriate safety measures; supervise the safety of all housing volunteers
- Maintain a clean and orderly work environment
- Assure the good maintenance of tools and work materials
- Assist the Hospitality department with tours, interpretation, and data entry as schedule permits.
How to apply:
- Read through the Long-Term Volunteer section of our website
- Complete Long-Term Volunteer Application and submit
- One of our volunteer coordinators will contact you via email within 1-2 weeks to notify you whether your skills are a good fit. If you are a good fit, you will be instructed on the next steps of the application process.
- If you have further questions, please contact Lisa Hetzel at email@example.com or 651.287.0738.