Position: Office Administrator
Location: Common Hope, St. Paul, MN
Reports to: Chief Financial Officer
Conditions: Part-time, non-exempt, roughly 30 hours/week
Common Hope promotes hope and opportunity in Guatemala by working with impoverished children and families, as well as the communities in which they live, to improve their lives through education, health care, and housing. While education is at the heart of our work, we believe a comprehensive approach to human development is critical for children and families to reach their full potential.
The position is responsible for supporting operations by handling a wide variety of administrative duties for U.S. directors and the St. Paul office, including executive support, office operations, HR/benefits administration, board liaison, and volunteer coordination. This person will apply administrative and coordinator skills to complete activities and will act independently on standard procedures and handle non-routine situations through interpretation of office guidelines and administrative practices. Will propose and implement solutions to administrative concerns and be extremely proactive and able to anticipate needs of leadership and for the office. Must have strong familiarity with multiple software packages and applications and will seek supervision as needed for direction and approvals. This position reports to the Chief Financial Officer but works closely with the US Common Hope team and support the Executive Director and Director of Strategic Relations.
- Performs administrative duties for executive management.
- Support the general office operations by directing communications (phone, email and mail) to appropriate staff and maintaining office supplies.
- Encourage a high standard of uniform administration of the Human Resources processes as executed by various managers in the St. Paul office such that Common Hope complies with both regulatory requirements and the spirit of the organization’s Enduring Values.
- Provide comprehensive, reliable interface between St. Paul staff and our benefit providers ensuring that staff is able to make the most of the benefits provided.
- Facilitate board communications; maintain appropriate records, minutes and calendars, update Board manual and orientation materials to accommodate the needs of the Board.
- Support the work of the CFO in safeguarding the organization’s assets by facilitating appropriate insurance coverage.
- Identify, solicit, accept, track and acknowledge in-kind donations that are necessary for programs in Guatemala and manage communication between teams about these gifts.
- Schedules appointments for directors, preparing meeting materials as requested.
- Coordinates on and off site meetings, presentations, and conferences, developing agenda, taking meeting notes, and processing summary of proceedings.
- Provide executive support for the Executive Director.
- Travel management for the directors, department personnel including travel, logistics and accounting.
- Identify issues, establish priorities, and respond to support needs.
- Performs administrative details such as database management, preparing periodic reports, screening telephone calls, processing paper mail, managing general information e-mail requests and procuring supplies and/or services to ensure normal flow of office activities.
- Support finance in annual state registrations by maintaining a current list of states and requirements.
- Acts independently to administer and communicate corporate policies and procedures, handling uncommon situations using administrative guidelines or escalation to US Directors.
- Screening any incoming correspondence and use judgment to route new information or to alert need for immediate action.
- Open/distribute incoming mail, drop off outgoing mail and maintain adequate supply of postage.
- Answer and direct general office phone calls and, either fulfilling or directing requests to the appropriate individual. Facilitate response to general message boxes for phone and email.
- Manage jobs and duties for office volunteers, and manage volunteer requests provided by US Office staff
- Serves as a go-to for office inquires.
- Office liaison with facilities vendors and landlord.
- Maintains highly sensitive and confidential information.
- Other duties as assigned.
Human Resource and Benefits Administration
- Administers various human resource plans, procedures and posting for all US personnel; assists in the development and implementation of personnel policies and procedures; prepares and maintains employee handbook, calendars and policies and procedures manual.
- Process monthly payroll.
- Conducts recruitment effort and ensure paperwork is complete for all exempt and nonexempt personnel, students and temporary employees; conducts new-employee orientations; and provides administrative assistance and schedules appointments for hiring and terminations.
- Maintains human resource information system records and compiles reports from the database.
- Maintains compliance with federal and state regulations concerning employment.
- Maintain a calendar of annual staff evaluations and related materials for personnel files and communicate with management as appropriate.
- Provide point of contact between benefit providers and staff to ensure full and appropriate use of benefits provided.
- Support the annual benefits/insurance renewal process, proactively searching for low cost alternatives and maintain physical and electronic files on benefits and insurance coverage.
- Coordinate meeting planning for Board of Directors, facilitate needed materials for board meetings and minutes, ensure quorum of attendance prior to each board meeting.
- Maintain and update the Board of Directors Manual annually.
- Support the preparation of board materials for meetings, annual board self-assessment process, and meeting communications.
- Support the work of Board and its committees maintaining a central file of their activities.
- Attend Board meetings and take minutes.
- Identify opportunities to use regular office volunteers to complete functions that free the time of staff.
- Recruit and maintain reception schedule with volunteers weekly.
- Manage the office volunteer recruitment and fulfillment schedule.
- Collaborate with Development and Guatemala warehouse staff to identify needed items and publicize these needs.
- Accept and record donations in accord with current policies and procedures, updating procedures when necessary and training staff to provide receipts and documentation in the absence of the Office Administrator.
Experience and Skill Set
- Commitment to the mission of Common Hope and serving impoverished people.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent business experience.
- Excellent communication skills including effective listening, writing, and speaking skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and strong attention to detail.
- Sensitivity to confidential matters is required.
- Public contact experience by telephone, by mail and in person.
- Advanced computer skills in Microsoft Word and intermediate skills in MS Excel Spreadsheet, Adobe and MS PowerPoint.
- Flexibility and initiative in managing change.
- Skill and experience in organizing, managing and maintaining office records and procedures.
- Spanish proficiency a plus
How to Apply
Please email your resume to Danielle Draack at DanielleD@us.commonhope.org.