Position: General Warehouse Volunteer
Location: St. Paul, Minnesota
Common Hope promotes hope and opportunity in Guatemala, partnering with children, families and communities who want to participate in a process of development to improve their lives through education, health care and housing.
The General Warehouse Volunteer assists in the efficient and effective receipt, processing or packaging of warehouse goods for use in Common Hope programs.
The volunteer is responsible for the following range of duties:
- Processes donations after they have been received and entered into Raiser’s Edge by Colleen or Carole. Processing includes unloading, sorting, counting, and boxing donations.
- Organizes donations for Guatemala programs, sometimes distinguishing between discarded and good quality donations according to program needs (i.e. used markers, pencils, or crayons can be used in program activities, but new supplies are packed separately for school supply bags)
- Donations must be packed carefully to avoid damage in shipment.
- Works with Vision Team Coordinator to plan for Vision Team packing parties.
- Maintains an organized and orderly warehouse space
- Collects office recycling, breaks down excess cardboard boxes. If able, delivers recycling to recycling plant.
- Assists with annual container shipment, particularly in:
- Recording inventories, box numbers, pallet numbers for the container shipment
- Packing and weighing boxes and calculating pallet weights
- Packing pallets
- Staging pallets for container loads
- Leading other volunteers helping in the warehouse
Minimum Prior Related Experience:
Prior related experience is not necessary.
Ability to work with other volunteers, donors and staff in a courteous manner
Strong attention to detail is important for packing, counting, and documenting shipments.
Physical Effort/Dexterity Required:
Volunteers require safety awareness, concentration while maneuvering furniture and other donations. This role requires frequently standing for long periods of time, twisting, bending, crouching, reaching overhead, pushing and pulling, lifting and kneeling. Volunteers should have the ability to lift up to 50 pounds.
If you are interested in this volunteer role, please contact Colleen Tracy at 651-917-0917 or send her an email.