Position: Construction Coordinator
Location: Fundación Familias de Esperanza, Antigua, Guatemala
Department: Visitor Experience/Housing Programs
Reports to: Associate Director of Visitor Experience and Sponsorship
Conditions: Full-time long-term volunteer with stipend (One-year commitment)
Common Hope promotes hope and opportunity in Guatemala through a comprehensive approach that includes education, health care and housing. We work with impoverished children, families and communities to improve lives and break the cycle of poverty.
Common Hope | Familias de Esperanza hosts groups of visitors and provides opportunities for them to learn about and experience Guatemala and the work of Common Hope. We believe it is imperative to facilitate an extraordinary experience that creates productive, worthwhile opportunities for families, staff and visitors to move the mission forward.
The Construction Coordinator is responsible for facilitating the production of volunteer house-builds and supporting other facilities projects at the campus in Antigua. Specifically, the Construction Coordinator’s ultimate goal is to support the Housing Department AND serve as leader of volunteers when volunteers are being used for housing/construction supports in order to ensure the Visitor Experience is extraordinary.
The position serves as the liaison between the Housing/Construction Department of Familias De Esperanza and the Visitor Experience team of the US & Guatemala. As the bilingual project lead on-site during housebuilds and other volunteer construction execution, their role is critical in leading volunteers through a meaningful experiences and when available providing support to the construction department.
The position serves as the bilingual leader responsible for volunteer onsite experience in alignment with Housing Department needs.
- Serves as lead translator for volunteers
- Provides English instruction and, as such, serves as leader and facilitator for volunteers serving house builds (as trained by the Familias de Esperanza Housing Coordinator)
- Communicates the Common Hope story and message to all volunteers
- Engages volunteers appropriately with enthusiasm, knowledge and passion for the mission
- Collaborates with Visitor and Sponsorship Experience Coordinator to understand the visitor profile and capacity
- Communicates housing needs effectively with Associate Director of Visitor Experience and Sponsorship AND Visitor Experience and Sponsorship Coordinators
- Ensures proper training, instructions and context for Common Hope’s construction practices are communicated to volunteers
The position also works with the Housing Coordinator to ensure that teams and work schedules for visitors and volunteers meet both visitor experience and housing needs and serves as the on-site bilingual facilitator between Common Hope house build team and English speaking visitors.
- Collaborates with Housing Coordinator to understand the construction plan for the year
- Works with Housing Coordinator to develop the work plan for each house build and/or team’s construction activities
- Communicates anticipated volunteer/team profile, numbers and dates to Housing Coordinator in advance of planning meetings to determine work plan
- Ensures Housing Coordinator and team has proper tools, equipment and materials are available for volunteers
- Secures information from Housing Coordinator/Vision Team Coordinator about the family receiving the house and the environment where house build will take place
- Understands the needs of the Housing department and assists where appropriate in all construction activity as approved by supervising manager
- Understands the needs of the Housing Department and communicates those needs to others in Visitor Experience department in order to develop plan to recruit, train and lead volunteers to fulfill needs as deemed appropriate by Manager and Housing Coordinator
- Participates and facilitates other construction needs by volunteers as determined by Housing Coordinator and Visitor Experience Manager
- Supports the efforts of the housing/construction team when visitors are not present
- Supports opportunities for the youth program to be involved in construction and housing projects when appropriate or upon request as approved by supervisor
- Serve as the crew leader and translator to volunteers on site
- Train new short-term volunteers on house build expectations and model
- Ensure safe onsite environment for volunteers
- Ensure construction volunteer inventory, for example, boots, gloves, etc. and communicate needs to Housing Coordinator
- Oversee volunteers’ daily construction activity
- Maintain a clean and orderly work environment
- Follow best practices as outlined by Housing Coordinator for construction in Guatemala
- Assure the good maintenance of tools and work materials
- Oversee quality production of volunteer work onsite
- Communicate to Housing Coordinator and Visitor Experience manager of challenges onsite
- Work with Housing Coordinator and Associate Director of Visitor Experience and Sponsorship to plan each year’s, quarter’s, and month’s anticipated building plan to best of ability
- Commitment to the mission, vision, values, principles and goals of Common Hope and its four sites in Guatemala
- Demonstrated attitude of service, commitment to work in a service environment, and to learn about Guatemalan culture
- Willingness to encourage and uphold a team atmosphere with fellow staff and staff at other sites
- Ability to work on a multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary team
- Ability to collaborate effectively between departments, leaders and peers
- Demonstrated cross-cultural sensitivity and awareness
- Ability to work proficiently in both Spanish and English
- Outgoing and enthusiastic
- Openness to change; flexible
- Quick problem-solving capability
- Excellent communication skills — effective listening, writing, speaking, and presentation; direct communication skills
- University studies preferred, minimum high school degree
- Experience in hospitality, education, or volunteer coordination
- Knowledge of construction technology and basic home repair, or desire to learn
- Ability to perform physical tasks and lift 20 lbs or greater
- Valid driver’s license, experience driving manual transmission vehicles
- Minimum one-year commitment
- Noteworthy: Availability on weekends. Position requires a flex-schedule based on visitor timelines and will include Saturdays.
Please email your cover letter and resume in English to Erin Treinen at ErinT@guate.commonhope.org.