Director of Finance and Administration
Position: Director of Finance and Administration
Location: Common Hope, St. Paul, MN
Reports to: Executive Director
Conditions: Full time, salaried position M-F, some evenings and weekends required | Periodic travel to Guatemala
Common Hope is a St. Paul based 501c3 non-profit organization whose mission is to promote hope and opportunity in Guatemala. The organization works to end the cycle of poverty for children in Guatemala through a comprehensive approach to human development which includes programs in education, health care, housing and family development. Common Hope partners with the families it serves giving them a “hand up” rather than a “handout,” preserving dignity and building ownership in the process.
Common Hope strives to remove barriers to educational achievement for students and empower families to improve their own lives. Students served are three to four times more likely to graduatefrom high school than the Guatemalan national average, which leads to significantly greater economic stability as adults.
Common Hope actively works to ensure effective and efficient programs, with over 80% of its $4.7 million budget going directly to programs. Common Hope and its Guatemalan affiliate, Fundacíon Familias de Esperanza, serve over 14,000 people and employ 120 people in Guatemala and 14 people in St. Paul.
Common Hope is looking for a provenfinance & accounting management professionalto fill the position of Director of Finance and Administration, which serves as the chief financial officer of the organization. The selected candidate will be responsible for overseeing all financial activities of the consolidated organization (which includes the U.S. and Guatemalan entities), consistent with best practices within the non-profit community and the highest standards of financial transparency. In addition, the person selected will manage a department of four in the US, and will be responsible for certain administrative functions of the US office in St. Paul.
Responsibilities Related to the Consolidated Organization
- Lead financial and administrative operations in accordance with the mission, vision, values, policies and procedures of the consolidated organization.
- Manage accounting, transaction processing, and consolidations, performed in accordance with GAAP and IFRS, with direct line responsibility for U.S. and consolidated accounting
- Provide accounting and control guidance to Guatemalan accounting staff
- Ensure timely and accurate financial reporting to internal and external stakeholders
- Lead budgeting, financial planning, and analysis for annual operations as well as for long-term strategic initiatives
- Maintain effective internal controls , including developing and enforcing appropriate financial policies, procedures and processes
- Lead treasury management, including cash, investment, and liquidity monitoring
- Manage annual audit preparation and process, ensuring appropriate cooperation and communication with independent audit firms in the U.S. and Guatemala
- Ensure compliance with all local, state and federal reporting requirements in coordination with US and Guatemala accounting and administrative teams
- Collaborate on program and fund development strategies with appropriate analysis of results, alternatives and implications
Responsibilities Specific to the U.S. Office
- Lead donor gift processing, grant funding/expense reporting, stock gift processing, compliance with gift restrictions, and state fundraising registrations
- Office administration, including space, furniture, security, front desk, equipment, and supplies
- HR administration, including benefit enrollment, maintaining policies and documentation
- IT administration, including network services, equipment maintenance, security and software upgrades, assisted by outside vendors and consultants
- Manages third-party relationships for banking, insurance, outside accounting, IT, regulatory, and nonprofit evaluation assessments
Reporting Relationships and Interactions
- Reports to Executive Director; manages finance and administration department of four.
- Member of Executive Management Team, a seven-member team led by Executive Director
- Staff Liaison for Finance Committee, Member of Strategic Planning Committee
Experience and Skills Needed
- Strong service mentality; commitment to Common Hope’s mission
- Bachelor’s Degree in Finance or Accounting, CPA or MBA preferred
- Ten years of experience in accounting and financial management with increasing responsibility, including experience in non-profit accounting
- Strategic thinking and problem solving skills, with a balance of strong operating skills
- Ability to forge strong relationships at all levels of the organization while demonstrating excellent leadership skills, interpersonal communication skills, and a high degree of ethics.
- Supervisory experience
- Strong oral and written communication skills;
- Spanish speaking ability; Cultural sensitivity and awareness
- INTACCT accounting software experience desired, but not required
- Background Check: Must pass a criminal background check
Compensation and Benefits
Common Hope offers competitive salary and benefits, including medical, dental, long and short term disability insurance, life insurance, retirement plan, paid holidays and paid time off.
Please email cover letter, resume and salary requirements to Kim Scanlan, firstname.lastname@example.org