U.S. Visitor Experience Manager
Location: Common Hope, St. Paul, MN
Reports to: Director of Strategic Relations & Development
Conditions: Full Time
Common Hope promotes hope and opportunity in Guatemala through a comprehensive approach that includes education, health care and housing. We work with impoverished children, families and communities to improve lives and break the cycle of poverty.
The purpose of this position is to manage the Visitor Experience program for Common Hope, recruiting and ensuring a meaningful immersion experience for visitors and teams of volunteers visiting Common Hope/Familias de Esperanza in Guatemala. Vision Team volunteer experiences build relationships with students, families, staff and individual team members to help them integrate their experience into their lives and communities when they return home and continue their engagement with Common Hope. The US Visitor Experience Manager is central to Common Hope’s outreach efforts and is instrumental in securing and building new donor relationships. This position also actively participates in fundraising events as a Strategic Relations team member, representing the Visitor Experience Program. This position supervises one coordinator level employee for the program and works closely with the Visitor Experience Team in Guatemala.
- Establish annual team calendar, recruit effective team leaders to fill volunteer teams to ensure that budget goals are met. Ensure a minimum of 26 teams per year with an average of 12 team members to meet revenue goals. Provide ongoing evaluation of the Visitor Experience program to continually enhance and improve the program.
- Supports budgeting process; Manages revenue and expense budgets for the Visitor Experience Program.
- Oversees payment schedules and application process securing revenue for Visitor Experience program through fees and fundraising, ensuring payments and donations are tracked appropriately and collected on time.
- Develops, promotes, and encourages fundraising strategy as part of the Visitor Experience commitment and supports organizational fundraising efforts in collaboration with other Common Hope Programs.
- Develops Visitor Experience communication/marketing/fundraising materials in collaboration with the Marketing/communications team.
- Flexible schedule includes evenings and weekends, with the ability to travel domestically for team activities and events, and to Guatemala periodically.
- Maintains database information for the Visitor Experience Program and ensure an efficient audit process.
- Keep informed of current events, security, and safety issues in Guatemala.
- Miscellaneous duties as assigned.
- Develops prospect list, outreach calendar, and recruitment strategy to fill the annual calendar with Visitor Experiences and collaborate with Director of Strategic Relations and Development, EMT to help coordinate Major Gifts and other visitors.
- Recruit team leaders who will effectively communicate the purpose and goals of the Visitor Experience Program, set expectations among team members, fill teams, generate full involvement in team activities, and inspire successful fundraising efforts.
- Secures team commitments and leaders that advocate for Common Hope, fill teams, inspire team fundraising efforts, and lead a respectful team experience that benefits the students and families that Common Hope serves, Guatemala Program staff and other team members.
Visitor Experience (Volunteer) Team Management
- Engages Visitor Experience team members in Common Hope’s mission before, during and after travel.
- Effectively coach and lead teams in pre-trip operations in how to recruit, fundraise, and collaborate with Visitor Experience coordinators in Guatemala.
- Provides comprehensive communication with team coordinators in Guatemala, including logistics and shared knowledge of the interests, goals, and affiliations of team members.
- Works with key individuals on staff (Guatemala and St. Paul) to clarify program needs and explore efficient and cost-effective methods to address them.
- Collaborates with Guatemala team to create a customized, fulfilling experience for each Visitor Experience team that fulfills program needs and the interests of Vision Team members
- Lead Visitor Experience strategy and communications under the direction of the Director of Strategic Relations & Development.
- Manages Vision Team Alumni and creates engagement plans for Visitor Experience members following their trip. Ensures plans and follow up is captured in Raiser’s Edge for visitors related to their interests, affiliations, and activities
- Assures positive and lasting impressions of the organization among all volunteer team members.
- Express appreciation to each team member for their volunteer time, opening their hearts and minds, fundraising on behalf of Common Hope, and collaborating with us in our work.
- Communicates frequently with the Director of Development, EMT, and fellow staff the relationships built, and opportunities revealed by individual team members.
Experience and Skill Set
- Commitment to the mission of Common Hope.
- Demonstrated cross-cultural sensitivity and awareness with an attitude of service, commitment to work in a service environment.
- Bilingual – English and Spanish.
- Outgoing and enthusiastic, with demonstrated public speaking experience.
- Demonstrated leadership in group settings.
- Excellent communication skills – effective listening, writing, speaking and presentation.
- Able to identify an opportunity, create an action plan, and bring plan to fruition.
- Excellent organization skills, strong attention to detail and able to manage multiple projects at a time.
- Valid Driver’s License and current passport for travel domestically and to Guatemala
- Computer savvy, Office products, SharePoint, and a preference for experience with Raiser’s Edge
- An understanding of the role of hospitality and development in non-profit organizations.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent business experience.
Please send your cover letter and resume to Avi Mylrea at AviM@us.commonhope.org